I tried the new Jane Iredale Beyond Matte Foundation and took it on a pretty extreme wear test – in the 95+ degree fahrenheit Mississippi August heat! If you haven’t experienced mid to late August in the deep south, you can’t truly understand it. It’s hot, it’s humid, you sweat, it’s just misery. I don’t know why the Mississippi Book Festival is outdoors and in August but I’ve since talked to some of the organizers about maybe moving it indoors or changing the time of the year.
Please note that while I did receive a free retail sample of the foundation (which you can too, see below) I did not receive a review sample or any compensation for this review.
jane Iredale beyond matte liquid foundation
Jane Iredale Beyond Matte (TM) foundation retails for $50 and comes in 18 shades, which is not a huge shade range but 6 of those shades are “deep” or “deeper.” If you have a Soft Surrounding nearby you can get a sample in their beauty section! If not they do have a shade finder quiz that you can take on their website.
Iredale describes the foundation as: A clean, weightless, multitasking 3-in-1 foundation with buildable, stay-put coverage and a natural-looking semi-matte finish. Formulated with skin-nourishing, plant-based ingredients. 100% vegan and always cruelty-free.
- Three-in-one primer, concealer, foundation.
- Semi-matte, photo-ready finish.
- Available in 18 self-adjusting shades.
- Lightweight and long-wearing.
- Medium-to-full, buildable coverage.
- Reduces the appearance of shine and creates the look of smooth, even skin.
- Minimizes the appearance of pores.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Free from phthalates, parabens, GMO, artificial dyes, synthetic preservatives, synthetic fragrance, talc, nanoparticles and heavy metals.
- Certified clean and safe: clinically tested, dermatologist tested, allergy tested, sensitization tested, noncomedogenic.
- 100% color match guarantee.
- Skin-loving Ingredients
- PoreTect™ An eco-friendly ingredient made from Linseed and Celery Seed Extracts, PoreTect brings firmness, tone and density to the skin, reinforcing the structures that hold pores tight.
- Peptides minimize the appearance of shine and promote a smooth, semi-matte, photo-ready finish.
- Xilogel® A proprietary blend of Tamarind Seed and plant-based Hyaluronic Acid, Xilogel enhances the ability to improve skin elasticity, smooth and moisturize the skin.
Big claims! Especially the “100% color match guarantee” and that it is self-adjusting.
I made a mistake
In my video, I did mess up and use a primer which you DO NOT need with this foundation because it is a three in one primer concealer foundation. I do not think I will ever NOT use a concealer because of my dark circles but if you watch the video you will see that I think it is actually the Coola sunscreen that reacted badly to the tarte Pore & Prime balm, not the foundation.
Helpful to know
My skin is aging of course as I am 38. I tend toward dry and consider my skin normal-dry. My struggles are fine lines and wrinkles around my eyes, natural very dark circles, some forehead wrinkles, and visible pores. I did not find the foundation drying but I was told to set it all over with powder which I don’t usually do so it did feel like I was wearing a lot of makeup on my face, although I don’t feel like it looked like a lot of makeup.
I like the foundation, I think it held up very well in spite of the extreme heat that I put it through! I did not feel like it minimized the appearance of my pores but you can see for yourself in my updates throughout the day in my video. I do not think that it is worth $50 but I do not think any foundation is worth $50! If you can afford it, I do not think you will be disappointed. Jane Iredale is not a flashy social media brand, they are geared more toward aging skin and everyday wearable looks but they are very high quality. They do have offers on their website that you can use to save some money but like I said in my video it’s almost a bad idea when I get samples from my friend Lucy who works at Soft Surroundings because all of the makeup and skincare samples she gives me are great quality and it makes me want to buy them. Don’t try it if you don’t think you will want to pay $50 for it because you will probably like it.